
Mozambique: Police must fight terrorism, ‘chaos’ of protests – president
Mozambique’s President has challenged the new deputy commander-general of the Republic of Mozambique Police (PRM), Aquilasse Manda, after taking office, to give an “effective response” in the fight against terrorist attacks and “chaos” in the face of post-election demonstrations.
“You are taking office in a scenario in which we have to respond to and overcome three major challenges that could jeopardize our coexistence and social harmony, namely the armed attacks by terrorists in parts of Cabo Delgado province, although currently of low intensity, combined with the recruitment of children into the ranks of terrorists,” said President Daniel Chapo whilst swearing in Aquilasse Manda as the new deputy commander-general of the PRM.
President Chapo also asked Manda to the knife attacks attributed to the paramilitary group locally known as “Naparamas”, which are being carried out in Zambézia province, in central Mozambique, saying that they are “attempting to block” roads that are vital to the country’s development, affecting the movement of people and goods.
The Mozambican president also called on the deputy commander to combat the “continuous attempt to create chaos characterized by illegal and violent demonstrations, without a set date or time, a phenomenon which could also, if not controlled, degenerate into threats to collective security”.
“We believe that this will contribute to an effective response to the scale of these evils,” said Chapo, advocating an end to threats and blockades of roads and commercial establishments, especially in Maputo, in protests over the high cost of living.
In the same speech, President Chapo demanded that Aquilasse Manda take action to ensure the “civic and patriotic education” of police officers and to “purify the ranks”, noting that “undisciplined individuals” cannot be part of the force.
“We must capitalise on the emblematic police-community bond that has long proven to be an effective mechanism in preventing crime in our communities,” the president concluded.
Since October 2017, gas-rich Cabo Delgado province has been facing an armed rebellion with attacks claimed by movements associated with the extremist group Islamic State.
The last major attack took place on 10 and 11 May at the district headquarters of Macomia, with around a hundred insurgents looting the town, causing several deaths and heavy fighting with the Mozambican Defence and Security Forces and Rwandan military, which is supporting Mozambique in the fight against the rebels.
Mozambique has been experiencing a climate of social unrest since October of last year, with demonstrations and strikes called, at first, by former presidential candidate Venâncio Mondlane, who rejects the election results that gave victory to the Mozambique Liberation Front (Frelimo) candidate, Daniel Chapo.
Smaller-scale protests are still taking place in different parts of the country with people, in addition to contesting the October 9 election results, protesting the rising cost of living and other social problems.
Since October, at least 327 people have died, including around two dozen minors, and around 750 have been shot during the protests, according to the electoral platform Decide, a non-governmental organization that monitors electoral processes in Mozambique.
Source » clubofmozambique.com